Home

Friday, June 12, 2009

Day 2 (part 2)~ Sanyu Babies Home

I was so excited to finally be able to go the the Sanyu babies home. I had heard so much about it and it sounded like a place I would absolutely love! I mean seriously...60 babies under the age of 3!! Sounded like heaven to me! It was a beautiful place...a chaotic beautiful place. 

I heard that we would have to go through a "volunteer instruction-like-session" before we could help with the babies, but as soon as we walked in the gates they rushed us right over to the babies and put us to work! Babies...everywhere! It was very overwhelming! The babies were up from their nap and running around outside. From inside you could hear the smaller babies crying. I longed to go into the smaller babies room to take a peak at them but I was trapped with toddlers and I didn't know if it was appropriate for me to take the little bitty babies out of their cribs. So I played with the toddlers...and how sweet they were! All the wanted from you was just a little bit of attention! Hugs and kisses...and they were happy! 

It started to rain so we rushed all of the toddlers back in the house. The electricity had gone out. So it was pitch black, and babies were crawling everywhere! We managed to put them all in there little highchairs and started dishing out the food. The food was very hot. I kept blowing on all the bowls waiting for them to cool off. But babies kept trying to take it out of my hand. I kept thinking...oh baby, your gonna burn your tongue off! You don't want this! Believe me. But I soon realized that it was quite normal for them to eat very hot food. 

Once all the babies had food and it seemed like there was enough volunteers in the room I decided that this was my chance to go take a peek at the teeny-tiny babies! And boy were they TEENY TINY! There were 7 babies all under the age of 3 months. I grabbed a baby and began feeding. They were so little. So little. And of course...their milk was SO hot! I worried about it but again realized that this was just how they drank it. After feeding the first baby it was time to change its diaper. One of the nannies asked "are you ok with changing diaper?" and I thought to myself ... well of course I am ok! I have changed lots of babies diapers! And then she handed me a clothe diaper. Oh my. Those things are CONFUSING. And it is no easy task when the baby is so small. Too much fabric, not enough bottom. I managed to figure it out with the help of a nanny. 

After changing the diaper I then laid the baby down in his crib and put the mosquito net up for him. I then went to the toddlers room to help put them to bed. It was craziness over there but some how we managed to get all of the babies in bed. I couldn't help but comfort the ones that were crying but the nannies told us that it would only make them cry more because they wanted attention. Very hard.  I kissed every baby that I tucked into bed...but it made me sad when I left because I knew that they need a mommy and daddy to kiss them goodnight and sing over them. I pray that each baby will one day find that love of a family. 



Take a moment to notice the chaotic-ness of this picture... and this was only 6 of the 30 babies that were in this room eating. 

3 week old twins 

3 comments:

  1. Delighted to meet you! Just found your site via a friend. Goodness, loving it, just loving it. Your time in Uganda, your heart, your freshness. Yep loving it. I'll be back to splash around a bit more.

    Hugs from Costa Rica,
    Sarah Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lexie.Have your parents started the adoption process again yet. :)

    ReplyDelete