Home

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Day 1~ Meeting the Team and Traveling

Warning: this might be a very long post because 1) this was a very long day and 2) I want to remember every detail

Day 1
started off bright and early. Me and my dad left at about 7 a.m. to drive 5 hours to meet the team. I always imagined that when this day would come I would be super anxious, or just plain jumping off the walls with excitement. But to be honest, I was completely chill. We prayed as a family and then me and dad were off!

As we drove along I had to keep reminding my self that I was really going to UGANDA! It didn't really hit me until me and my dad pulled into the parking garage at the airport. But still I had complete peace. Luckily, Dad was able to get a pass to take me through customs. Whew...glad I didn't have to do that by myself. 

As we walked to my gate I saw a group of people in yellow shirts. I said to my dad "there they are...". As we walked closer they all turned around at the same time and said "there she is!!!". 

They were all so sweet!! I introduced my self to each of them and felt like I was with family from the very beginning. It was kinda crazy to be with people who I had only known from BLOGS but still...it felt so normal at the same time. Only God.  

I had expected that I would have an emotional goodbye with my dad...but luckily I held it together. Again, God. 

We all went to Fudruckers in the airport. I didn't get any food because me and my dad had just ate. I sat with the girls and we all got to know each other. At one point one of the girls says "your Dad rocks...my dad would NEVER let me go to UGANDA with people I met online." Uhm, yes, again...GOD. I never dreamed that my parents would either. 

After eating and getting to know them some more it was then off to our gate again. On the way there I went to grab my camera out of my bag. Uh...wheres my camera?? Panic. I start searching everywhere. No where to be found...so I quick call my dad. Luckily he was still in the parking garage. I had left my camera in the truck. Close call. So now I had to walk back through security (this time alone!) and grabbed my camera and said goodbye to my dad again. 

As we were boarding the plane one of the girls realized that her passport was missing...so a search party began on the floor in the middle of the airport. Luckily we found it about 2 minutes later...but it felt like 30 minutes. And praise the Lord, that was the only real mishap that we had on our trip. And it really wasn't much of a mishap. Our trip was really very smooth. 

Now on the plane. I realized I was sitting next to a yellow shirt! Yay! Somebody from our group! Her name was Melinda and she was so very sweet! She told me all about her job in the military and we got to know each other in those 8 hours. I was so thankful I was not sitting alone. The flight went well although I didn't sleep, and the guy in front of me gave me such a mean scowl every time I even touched the back of his seat. Ugh! Did he not realize that I have really long legs! 

Once in London we got on the train and began the whirlwind of a tour. We saw the Big Ben, the changing of the guards and some other sites that I can't think of at the moment. I also bought two scarfs! :) 

Finally in London! 
(Left to Right- Me, Malinda, William, Breeane, Graham, Taylor, Dalton) 
Trying to figure out the metro-cars (or whatever you call them...)

We got back to the airport with plenty of time. And met up with two more "blog friends"...Justin and James. They were so much fun and a great addition to our team. The airport was like a mall...so of course...us girls did some shopping! We then went back to our gate for about another 2 hours and everybody passed out on the seats. Everybody but me! I was so tired but couldn't sleep at all. Finally Taylor and Taylor (boy and girl) woke up and went with me to find some sleep aid for the plane. Luckily Taylor (boy) was 20 yrs and was able to buy me some stuff at the pharmacist. Both Taylors and me split the price and shared the sleep aid. On the plane I sat next to Taylor (boy) and we passed out. Thank you Jesus for some good drowsy medication! The flight went by very quickly. 


Finally in UGANDA. We get off the plane and turned back to look at the plane that had just brought us to Uganda...and this was the beautiful site to our tired eyes...
It was only 7 a.m in Uganda and we had a full day ahead of us...
More to follow...:)

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Lexie. I am so excited to read about this wonderful journey of yours. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure!

    Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That would of been awfull if you forgot your camera. That last picture of the plane is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lexie~
    I followed the link from your mom's blog and I look forward to reading more about your journey and how God used each of you to bless the people there! I know your mom is so proud of you...and it's evident why... as your light for the Lord shines bright!! God bless! <><

    ReplyDelete